As we launch into such uncertain times – it is critical we connect local farmers, food, events (virtually) and encourage all of use to look out for each other and see the world through old wise eyes.
Our grandparents lived through war times, of basic rations, of raw food, of eating what was available. We all need to return to our roots, and remember what our elders taught us. We need to be the shining lights to our farmers, communities, and localised food systems. Now more than ever. And to deeply care about each other, our communities and the planet.
We hope these resources will help you to share this in your community – and let us know your own local champions so we can grow this list nationwide!
As many events and conferences are either cancelled or transitioned to a virtual format, ORICoop recognizes that farmers, food servers, and all those who labor to grow, harvest, prepare, and serve our food are among those most impacted by economic and health effects of COVID-19 and many with limited access to quality medical care in regional areas. Adopting attitudes of empathy and care is needed more than ever to protect our most vulnerable.
At a time when we are seeing impacts on global supply chains, we see the urgent need for our local economy and community resilience. It is a critical time to buy nutrient-rich food from local farms in your area and to take advantage of home delivery where possible. By supporting policies and models for locally owned land and shared ecological stewardship, we can all ensure there is a future where local organic agriculture supports our health, carbon is sequestered in our soils, and sustainable stewardship of the earth provides a pathway for our generation and future generations to connect with the land and to each other.
PLACES TO BUY FOOD LOCALLY IN YOUR REGION?
- CERES – home delivery across Melbourne of organic produce and dry goods direct from farmers to your door
- Prom Coast Collective – delivers across Gippsland and into Melbourne., direct from farms to your door!
- Beechworth Food Cooperative – enacting local food across North East Victoria
- Harcourt Farming Cooperative – a collective of farmers bringing food to tables around Harcourt and surrounding communities
- Organic Angels – home delivery in Melbourne of organic produce
- Baw Baw Food Hub – local farmers and food hub in West Gippsland
- Food Connect – reconnecting farmers and foodies across Brisbane & surrounds
- Bullimah Community Cooperative
- Melbourne Farmers Markets (online)
Looking for your local food or farm initiatives?
- Find your nearest local cooperative HERE across Australia (best list yet!)
- Find your nearest local producers HERE (see map) – order direct or create your own hub
- Register your local farmers collective with us – as an ORICoop Partner HERE
- Encourage local backyard growers to register with Ripe Near Me with their own produce
PRACTICAL STEPS YOU CAN DO IMMEDIATELY….
- Start making your own bread
- Plant food, small or large garden!
- Buy a local, seasonal box of vegetables regularly
- Make the most of everything, waste little
- Preserve, pickle and freeze
- Share with those in need
- Start your own foodies collective
See more suggestions HERE from Milkwood Permaculture
How can ORICoop help?
ORICoop brings together farmers, eaters, businesses and partners to directly support farmers in their time of need. Together we are focussed on increasing the amount, diversity and productivity of organically and regeneratively managed farmland around Australia, while building a resilient food and farming system that can change the way our farmers do business…. for the better!
There has never been a better time to care more about your community! Join ORICoop today, and connect more closely with your food system, one meal at a time.